April 5-12, 2020
Dedicated to the appreciation and protection of Kythera’s wild orchids
Join us to celebrate Spring in Kythera: 230 species of birds will be migrating over, most of our 720 species of plants will be flowering…
Come and walk our hiking trails with our guides, and discover the wild orchids of April…
Enjoy seminars by and conversations with wild orchids specialists…
Explore our prehistoric sites and medieval ruins and experience our seasonal customs, dances, and cuisine…
Take guided walks on the well-marked trails of the island to discover the orchids in bloom, and more wild life. Our hiking schedule for the Festival will include guided tours around:
- Avlemonas – Paleopoli – Kokkinochorafa
- Potamos – Agios Giannis Forest – Agia Kyriaki
- Myrtidiotissa Monastery – Vani
- Mylopotamos – Watermills – Waterfalls
- Chora – Kapsali
- Mitata – Viaradika
Our hikes will be combined with visits to:
- Minoan graves in Paleopoli
- The byzantine church of Agios Georgios with its late antiquity mosaic floor
- The medieval abandoned city of Paleochora
- The Venetian castle of Chora
We are also planning tours of:
- A honey producing farm
- The candle making workshop at Agia Moni Monastery
- The Roussos ceramic workshop
- The biological olive grove and orchard ‘Astarte’
Lectures on the wild orchids of Greece will be offered by our invited speakers.
- A workshop on how to create Palm Sunday crafts using palm tree leaves will be offered by our local priest and ladies of our church council
- A two hour class on Greek traditional dancing will be offered by Mr. Vagelis Megalokonomos, a veteran of the world famous Lykeio Ellinidon traditional dance academy, and a veteran teacher of traditional dancing in the island, and beloved teacher of Greek dancing to foreign visitors in the summers.
We will be offering two showing of these documentaries
- “Inhibiting summers of history” (“Παραθεριστες της ιστοριας») by G. Didimiotis. A poetic and romantic presentation of the mimoic to classical findings of Kythera and their loving adventure towards their new home the Kythera Archeological Museum
- “Juliette of the Fields”, by Trish Streteen. A beautifully filmed lyrical portrait of the life and work of Juliette de Bairacli Levy: herbalist, author, breeder of Afghan hounds, friend of the Gypsies, traveller in search of herbal wisdom and a pioneer of holistic veterinary medicine. Juliette had spent a few years in Kythera and many of the locals still fondly remember her.
Hands-on activities designed for children by the Friends of the Goulandri Museum
The village of Avlemonas is a traditional fishing village, the only one in the bay of St. Nicholas. It borders a Natura 2000 bird protection area, that extends to the north of the village all the way to Agia Pelagia, and includes the shoreline and the uninhabited islands around Kythira.
Avlemonas contains two historic landmarks, the small Venetian castle with its canons still in place, and its guard house “Vardiola” nearby, and the antique customs house building with its historic solar clock.
A favorite of yachters nowadays, it features a few restaurants, a couple of bars, a grocery store, gifts shops, and accommodations in studios and villas, that have been built as houses, and preserve the wonderful feeling of the small fishing community which still thrives here through the year.
The two local organizations, the Merchant’s collective and the Beautification Society, organize fund raising events and fairs each year, and continue to add works that enhance the unique aesthetic of the village.
Our speakers will be presenting short talks during or after dinner on most of the days of the festival. We are hoping that the talks will be followed by engaging questions and discussions. The speakers bring
great experience and deep knowledge on the subject of the Greek wild orchids.
Present a talk
If you would like to present a talk on the subject of the wild orchids of Kythera or Greece, please email us your proposal.
The talk should be less than half an hour long. There will be projection media and internet available to our speakers.
The talks will be in a relaxed setting in restaurants or a theater. The audience is expected to be very familiar with the subject of wild orchids or very interested to learn in depth.
Book your participation now!
The island’s tourist office Pyrgos House, specialized in guided walks and out door activities, will arrange your booking.
We will be offering a complete package that will include
transportation to and from the airport
shuttle service to the trail heads and sites
lodging in the beautiful studios of Avlemonas with breakfast
dinner in one of the restaurants in Avlemonas or near the activity of the day
participation in all the walks, workshops, talks, site and museum visits
We will also offer the ability to Kythera locals to participate in any activity for a door fee.
Our island is remote and flights are not available on a daily basis in April. We will update our website as soon as the April flights are announced. Please send us an email if you wish to be notified when this happens. You will also have the option to make reservations and choose lodgings via the website after that.